Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Reader ID's the item in the last blog as a Heel Plate!

NEWS FLASH!!! NEWS FLASH!!!

My thanks go out to Chris Phillips who emailed me about the "What is it?" metal thing that is shown in the picture on the last blog entry and I think we have an ID!

Here are Chris's comments about the item:

"I would say you dug a heel plate. Leather shoes of the 19th and early 20th centuries often had these fastened to the bottom of the heel. At first I thought that the heart shape cutout was a woman's shoe but I have seen similar ones in military camps. Some are merely in the shape of a horse shoe. I had seen photos of dug heel plates over the years in detecting magazines and internet forums. Try "heel plate" in a google image search. The best and fastest way that I have got my "what is its" identified is through the Treasurenet.com forums. This site is truly impressive. It's probably the biggest metal detecting site on the net. I have had people from all over the USA and Europe help me identify my relic finds."

With Chris's help, I started searching online to see if I could find out more information. My first search target was eBay. I went out to eBay, plugged in "heel plate" into the "Buy" search category and found a seller who has a store called The Soldier's Heel.

Here's the link to this seller's eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/The-Soldiers-Heel I sent him an email and asked him if he knows anything about the heel plate that I found. I haven't heard back yet, but when I do, I'll post his response for everyone to see!

I also Googled "heel plate" and didn't find a match for old antique designs or references.

If you have any information about the heart shaped design on this heel plate and it's date and significance, please let me know!

I'm trying to put a match to an old pre-civil war fort and it's location so your comments would be greatly appreciated! treasureholic@gmail.com

No comments: