Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Additional Heel Plate Info: John's Response!

In my last update on the Heel Plate, I mentioned that there was a seller on eBay who has an online store called "The Soldier's Heel". http://stores.ebay.com/The-Soldiers-Heel

For those of you who don't know, you can contact any eBay seller without purchasing an item from them or placing a bid on an item. It's pretty simple and there are two ways that you can do it. You can click on their user id and that will take you to a page about them where you can find a contact link, or you can click on one of their posted listings and ask a question. There is a drop down box that will allow you to choose "Ask a general question about this item". I've found both contact methods to work quite well. Most people who sell on eBay are following their passion and they are more than happy to share information about the items that they list or answer questions about a hobby or eBay listing category.

I sent the eBay seller at The Soldier's Heel an email with this blog address so he could check out the photo/post and asked him if he had any information on the Heel Plate in the photo. He was very kind to respond! Here is a copy of the email that John sent to me - IT'S GREAT INFORMATION!!!

Hi Dana,

Yes, you did find a heelplate, I have one in my collection that is very similar to yours. I haven't found alot of information regarding these items online either, which seems surprising. But from the number I have seen with various designs I believe that these were mass produced in the 1850's-1860's and from the quality, I am inclined to think they might have been imported from Britain.

The purpose of the heelplate was to protect and extend the life of the shoe heel. Shoes were purchased items for the most part & therefore if the owner could make them last several years longer, it was worth the extra cost to have these on a pair of shoes.

You will find examples of dug heelplates in several Civil War relic books, and occasionally on ebay. They are not especially rare, and a lot of relic hunters have found them in military camps. These are not a military issue item, but alot of civilian market goods were used by soldiers & visitors to the army camps.

Thanks for contacting me, I hope that I have helped shed some light on your find.

John

Here's what's really cool about this whole metal detecting treasure hunting thing...it's great fun, you meet and interact with very nice people and you find relics and items that are very interesting and are sometimes valuable!

Before I found the Heel Plate, I had no clue that these items even existed, knew nothing about them - when they were made or what they were used for. It's all fascinating to me and I can't wait to dig in the dirt again soon and find something new to investigate!

No comments: