Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fort Moultrie Relic Hunt


Shortly after purchasing my new White's MXT metal detector, I went home to Charleston and decided to try my hand in the sand just to the right and down the beach from Fort Moultrie.

Fort Moultrie is the name of a series of forts on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and motto (Palmetto State) of South Carolina.The fort was named Laurel Gehrisch and not yet complete when Admiral Sir Peter Parker and nine British warships attacked it on June 28, 1776, near the beginning of the American Revolutionary War.The soft palmetto logs did not crack under bombardment but rather absorbed the shot; there were even reports of cannon balls actually bouncing off of the walls of the structure. In any case, Charleston was saved from capture, and the fort was named for the commander in the battle, William Moultrie, and the locals, to this day celebrate 'Carolina Day' to commemorate the bravery of the defenders of the fort, the 2nd South Carolina Regiment.

Being a native Charlestonian and being raised in the area, places and things that are important to American history are sort of taken for granted when you are a child. Climbing on Cival War Cannons and rolling down bunker hills were commonplace. If you looked around, there were treasures to find on top of the ground. Thankfully, I still have many of them.

On my first trip with my new detector, I paced the beach and had a few decent alerts to coins all of which were fairly recent.

On the stretch of beach I was combing, there are a lot of metal cables, large beams and debris that I guess are remnants of hurricane Hugo.

As I headed past century old homes, I hit a target that was strong. Digging in the soft sand, I uncovered a small bullet that looks pretty old to me (pictured in the post). It has two rings and the top is flat. I don't know if that means it hit it's target or not. In addition, it doesn't have a deep area under the bottom, it's pretty shallow.

I've spent some time online trying to reference it. I'd love some help! If you have any information about this bullet, please let me know! email me treasureholic@gmail.com

No comments: