Friday, April 20, 2007

Let's Make A Deal!

When I was a child I loved watching Let's Make a Deal which was a very popular television game show airing in the United States. The original and most widely known version ran from 1963 to 1977.

The premise of the show is pretty simple. Host Monty Hall picked wacky dressed up people from the audience and offered them various choices which would either end up winners or duds. For example, contestants were offered a choice between $750 or a what could be behind Door #1, 2 or 3. Contestants were stuck asking themselves "Should I take the money now or choose Door #1 and end up with a shiny new car or a box of dog biscuits?"

You can check out more about the show on the The OFFICIAL Let's Make A Deal website!

I'm always looking for stuff that I want or can sell on eBay or to someone else. In an earlier post OLD Hand Hewn Beams Rescued From Dumpster! I talk about beams and a door that I rescued from a beautiful old house that was being torn down in our community. Remember...it was stuff that someone was throwing away that they were kind enough to give to me for FREE.

I was planning on using those old beams in my next house until I talked with Ken Wheeler. 5wheeler@tds.net

Ken is a master craftsman who designs and hand-crafts the most incredible furniture that I have ever seen. I can't say enough about Ken and his ability. Check back in the near future for a post highlighting Ken's furniture.

He told me in general conversation that he is making beds now. Out of old beams. With old bead board. And stained glass inserts in the headboards that have a light behind them. Hummmmm...
Guess what audience? It's time for Ken and Dana to play Let's Make A Deal!

As a Treasureholic, it's all about the thrill. Finding, selling and trading and not necessarily in any particular order. Sometimes you don't have to exchange cash and trading/bartering is just as good or better!

I have beams, Ken needs beams. He does restoration work. I have an old desk that needs to be restored.

We met, and I offered him the beams. After much pacing and head scratching, Ken chose door #1.

He headed back up the mountain with the old door from the Tryon house in the back of his pickup and said he would easily trade it to another Treasureholic, who owns a salvage business, for $100.00 worth of old barn siding. That siding will be turned into unique, rustic birdhouses and furniture that will find homes in beautiful log cabins here in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

He told me he was going to charge me about $100.00 for the restoration work on my desk and door #1 would be a fair trade and cover the cost.

I don't recall ever watching Let's Make A Deal and seeing two people pick the same door and end up with a wonderful prize. Do you?
What's your best trade? Email me: treasureholic@gmail.com

No comments: