Thursday, June 14, 2007

Teen Finds Diamond in State Park!

Arkansas Teen Finds 2.93 Carat Diamond At State Park!

June 6, 2007

A 13-year-old teenager has reportedly discovered a 2.93-carat diamond at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro. Nicole Ruhter's diamond is a tea-colored broken pyramid shaped with several imperfections, but the to-be-eighth grader is happy to have found one.

"I was kind of praying to God. I was saying, 'I don't care if it's worth whatever it's worth, I don't care if it's a tiny little sliver of something, I just want something,'" she told the AP of her find. "Ten minutes later, I just found it."

The Crater of Diamonds State Park is the world's only diamond-bearing site where visitors are allowed to search for and keep the gems they find.

The largest of the 25,000 diamonds found to date at the park since it was opened for the public in 1972, is a 16.37-carat Amarillo Starlight, found by a visitor from Texas in 1975.

No comments: